Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Learning to Wait

This is today's devotional from Charles Stanley. Man I hate to wait. I thought I was a patient person, and I am much more than I used to be, but not nearly as patient as I could be. When God shows me something, I get excited, and I am ready to go! Ready to act upon it right now, He doesn't have to tell me twice. Even though He loves my zealousness, sometimes that is not what He wants. It is a process and He is trying to teach me something in that process.

READ | Psalm 25:20-21

"What are you and I to think when God withholds His answer to our prayer? Most likely, you've wondered about this at some point. As creatures bound by time, we can find those ticking seconds very frustrating.

God doesn't see us simply in the here and now. He perceives the big picture all at once-where we've been, where we are, and where we're going. And, He knows the exact impact on our lives of every little decision, action, or blessing.

Does God want to bring something into your life that would absolutely destroy you? Of course not! He knows what may be a tremendous blessing later could completely devastate your life now. For this reason, He often pauses to give you time to prepare for that blessing.

Learning to wait on God is difficult. Patience successfully demands at least three things from us. First, we must be sensitive to Him. That is, we must nurture our relationship with the Father so we can hear Him when He tells us to wait. Second, we must trust His judgment. Does God know more than we do? Of course. Then doesn't it make sense to trust Him? Finally, we must be obedient. If we try to accomplish something alone after God tells us to wait, then we're headed for disaster. God blesses obedience, even obedient waiting.

The Lord doesn't operate in a vacuum. He works within His relationship with you. Never forget He is actively walking with you, even when He withholds an answer to your prayer. It doesn't mean He's not there. It simply means He's looking out for you even more." (Charles Stanley)

No comments: